9. If they say they're John Doe from XYZ Company, ask them
to spell their name. Then ask them to spell the company name.
Then ask them where it is located. Continue asking them
personal questions or questions about their company for as long as necessary.
8. Cry out in surprise, "Judy! Is that you? Oh my God!
Judy, how have you been?" Hopefully, this will give Judy
a few brief moments of pause as she tries to figure out
where she could know you from.
7. If MCI calls trying to get you to sign up for the
Family and Friends plan, reply, in as SINISTER a voice
as you can, "I don't have any friends... would you be my friend?"
6. If they want to loan you money, tell them you just
filed for bankruptcy and you could sure use some money.
5. Tell the telemarketer you are on "home incarceration"
and ask if they could bring you a case of beer and some chips.
4. After the telemarketer gives their spiel, ask him/her
to marry you. When they get all flustered, tell them that
you could not just give your credit card number to a complete stranger.
3. Tell the telemarketer you are busy at the moment and ask
them if they will give you their HOME phone number so you can
call them back. When the telemarketer explains that they
cannot give out their HOME number, you say "I guess you don't
want anyone bothering you at home, right?" The telemarketer
will agree and you say, "Now you know how I feel!"
2. Insist that the caller is really your buddy Leon, playing a joke.
"Come on Leon, cut it out! Seriously, Leon, how's your momma?"
And first and foremost:
1. Tell them to talk VERY SLOWLY, because you want to write EVERY WORD down.
[an error occurred while processing this directive]